Sick Note/Social Welfare Certificates

Medical Certificates for Sick Leave

Your employer can require you to provide a medical certificate (from your GP) when you are on sick leave. For example, you may have to provide a medical certificate if you are out sick for more than 2 or 3 consecutive days. The medical certificate should state the date you are likely to return to work. If you are likely to be out sick for a longer period, your employer may require you provide weekly medical certificates.


Please note that you must see a GP to receive a sick note or illness benefit certificate.


Illness Benefit

You may get Illness Benefit from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) if you cannot work because you are sick or ill. You must be aged under 66, covered by the appropriate class of social insurance (PRSI) and satisfy the PRSI conditions.


You must get an Illness Benefit claim form (IB1) and a medical certificate called a ‘Certificate of Incapacity for Work’ from your GP. You fill in the IB1 form and freepost it to the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.


Your GP completes the medical certificate. Your GP can sometimes provide one medical certificate to cover the duration of your illness. You will get a paper medical certificate which you must fill in with your personal details and freepost it with your IB1 form to the Department.


The Citizens Information website contains a wealth of information on Sick Leave and Sick Pay and Illness Benefit.


The nationwide EmployAbility Service provides an employment support service for people with a health condition, injury, illness or disability and a recruitment advice service for the business community.